Katrina Roenfeldt of the Barton Community College women's basketball team capped her stellar career as a Lady Cougar earning two post-season honors, named to the Division I first team of the Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference (KJCCC) while earning second team honors in the Division I of Region VI.
The Dodge City, Kansas, native left her mark in the Barton record book atop the chart in six of her nine different categories of accomplishments. Draining seven three-pointers in a single game twice in her career, Roenfeldt took over the top single season mark of three-pointers made (106) and attempted (256) surpassing the 2007-08 accomplishment of Ipek Turkyilmaz' 93-of-237 mark. Roenfeldt also surpassed Turkyilmaz' 2006-08 career accomplishments of 171-of-237 knocking down a total of 171 long balls on 256 attempts to average 2.7 made treys per contest. Draining a single season fifth best 41.4% from beyond the arc, the 5'6" dynamo was also a force on the glass leading the Lady Cougars her sophomore season with 7.9 rebounds per game including a school record eighteen defensive rebounds in the February 11th matchup with her hometown Dodge City Conquistadors in finishing with a program fourth best twenty rebounds. Averaging a double-double in her school defensive rebound record breaking week, Roenfeldt helped lead Barton to a pair of wins earning her second conference player of the week honor, as well as, receiving the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) weekly award.
Also making their mark in the Barton record books were two additional sophomores Regan Unruh and Baylee Robinson. Unruh, the Great Bend native, drained 152-of-196 from the charity stripe for a third best 77.6% over her two year career. Robinson, a transfer from Trinidad Junior College, pumped in a career high thirty-six points and hauled down thirteen rebounds in Barton's Region VI victory on March 2nd as the Roswell, New Mexico, native went 17-of-26 from the field surpassing the sixteen made field goals set by Wendy Okeson on February 26, 2000.
Barton concluded the 2016-17 season in the Region VI quarterfinals, finishing 17-15 under first-year Head Coach Alan Clark. The team also made its mark in the storied history of Lady Cougar basketball in four different categories including taking over the top spot in defensive rebounds as Barton hauled down fifty-one in its February 11th game against Dodge City, finishing with a program third best seventy-four total rebounds. The 2016-17 squad also wasn't afraid of launching the long ball, led by Roenfeldt's record breaking season along with primarily Unruh and Megan Jirak, the Lady Cougars launched a second best thirty-six at Independence and a sixth most thirty-two at Butler Community College. Draining 198-of-604 (32.8%) from beyond the arc, the team finished the season with the fourth most made three-pointers in Barton history.
Record Book Achievements during the 2016-17 Season:
Single Game (Individual):
- Most Made Field Goals: 17 – Baylee Robinson, 3-02-17 vs Northwest Kansas Technical College (17-of-26)
- Most 3-pt Field Goal Attempts: 15 – Katrina Roenfeldt, 2-08-17 at Independence Community College
- Most Defensive Rebounds: 18 – Katrina Roenfeldt, 2-11-17 vs Dodge City Community College
- Total Rebounds (4th): 20 – Katrina Roenfeldt, 2-11-17 vs Dodge City Community College
- 3-pt Made Field Goals (3rd): 7 – Katrina Roenfeldt, 2-08-17 at Independence Community College
Single Game (Team):
- Most Defensive Rebounds: 51 – 2-22-17 vs Dodge City Community College
- Total Rebounds (3rd): 74 – 2-22-17 vs Dodge City Community College
- Most 3-pt Field Goal Attempts:
- (2nd): 36 – 2-18-17 at Independence Community College
- (6th): 32 – 11-19-16 at Butler Community College
Single Season (Individual):
- Most 3-pt Field Goals Made: 106 – Katrina Roenfeldt
- Most 3-pt Field Goals Attempted: 256 – Katrina Roenfeldt
- 3-pt Field Goal Percentage (5th): 41.4% - Katrina Roenfeldt
Single Season (Team):
- 3-pt Field Goals Made (4th): 198